Installing the Roll Cage

2013-11-23_10-45-51_753
Another Adventure in Jeep building.Starting back on the front end, the grille is a bit of a mess. Its really only the visual front half as we had to trim it down to size to fit the radiator. Since we did have to remove a lot of metal from the grille its fairly thin. I opted to not strip as much paint and metal off of it as at this point I think it is more rust than metal. However it does still need some black accents like the rest of the Jeep. The new paint scheme is the Olive Satin paint with gloss black accents. So to the left and right the before and after of the Iconic Jeep grille, although the before is after I had painted most of it green, it was black previously.
2013-11-23_12-29-15_486
2013-11-23_10-45-41_719
Starting from where I left off with painting the dash I decided I needed to start putting it back together. The original gauges I had installed were white faced with chrome around the outside. these wont actually fit with the new paint sadly so on the budget eventually will be to replace them with “Normal” black background gauges with black around the outside. In the meantime I did take the liberty of painting the chrome bits on this one with the gloss black.
2013-11-23_14-24-00_7652013-11-23_12-04-24_355The Battery tray has always been a bit of a nuisance. It came with the fenders I got for $50 somewhere in Glendale and was never complete in that it did not have any way to secure the batteries down. So on the menu was to fix that with this piece of metal I had lying around the garage. This works quite a bit better and will secure them down to the tray.2013-11-23_13-38-51_729
2013-11-24_10-08-56_689Last on the menu was to get the Roll cage back inside which was a little tricky to do by myself. Although now that it is in I really love the new paint. Overall It will look quite nice when I am finished with it I think. Not too bad for some spray paint and a couple weekends worth of work.There is still a lot to be done on the Jeep But I think this is quite a decent start to it.

2013-11-24_10-15-04_449

Fixing the Roll Cage

The full roll cage was put in with the initial build of the Jeep around 2003. I made the great decision to not paint it. Ill assume everyone is well aware the unpainted metal Rusts. Yes even in Arizona. 2013-09-22_12-11-03_645Before and After2013-10-12_10-46-01_582so here we have a quite rusted bit of metal that must be stripped down and painted. instead of going on and on about it. Ill just post some pictures

2013-09-22_12-22-57_182 2013-09-22_17-28-31_159 2013-09-22_17-38-40_123 2013-10-12_10-46-13_574this actually took quite a while, and I was really happy with how well the glossy black came out on the rollbar. It is a bit hard to see here but in person its really slick.

 

A weekend or two well spent

This is a post about the two weekends I spent repainting parts of my Jeep

2013-10-26_10-40-41_450

painting as most anyone will likely tell you is all about the prep work and very little about actually painting. I had painted the Jeep before but just used black spray paint to cover over all the non 2013-10-26_11-13-49_799matching colors. The hood is a good example. You can clearly see it was originally a light desert Tan color and I painted over the letters Decals and everything else with black spray paint

 

I decided this time I would do it right. Strip all the old paint down to the metal, reprimer and repaint. 

2013-10-19_15-54-48_829I started by taking the windshield off and removing all the paint from it. I had some debate about removing the glass from the windshield but decided I could get around it decently enough. This is after quite a while of working at stripping paint with a wire brush. Between the 4″ angle grinder the the drill I had gotten most all the old paint off. I did eventually take the wiper arms and brackets off to paint them separately. After getting both sides down to the bare metal I got the primer and the paint on the windshield.2013-10-26_10-19-35_262013-10-26_10-26-06_4762013-10-26_12-53-51_396
Here you can see the wiper arms and brackets are no longer attached

 

 

2013-10-27_12-03-39_430So progress was made but this is only a fairly small piece of the vehicle. This illustrates some of the steps involved Next up was the Dash. The Dashboard was removed from another Jeep and was originally red. Of course I painted over the red with the black just like everything else. 2013-10-27_14-21-00_960Im not sure how long it took to get the dashboard stripped down to the bare metal too. I think it took most of the day. Also having to remove all the gauges took some additional time that isnt really accounted for. A good bit to note is the windshield was painted with a can of spray paint that I have had laying around for I dont even know how long. The dashboard was painted with a brand new can. Initially they turned out to be different colors but it seems after drying they are closer to the same color which is at least a small releif

2013-10-27_15-08-49_734
And here is the Dashboard painted the new olive green color

2013-10-27_12-00-20_579Im pretty happy with the result. The gloss black is a nice accent to the Olive green. Here you can almost see the shade difference that occured between the two shades of paint. Not pictured was the stripping and painting of the area right below the windshield which I had done before the dashboard but apparently didn.t take any pictures of it. Overall I’d say it was a time well spent for a weekend. I still have a long way to go to make the entire body of the vehicle match. The fenders nose and sides all have to be sanded/stripped down and painted green to match. All the accessories will be repainted with the same gloss black as the windshield brackets

2013-10-27_12-06-45_941