If you ask me every vehicle everywhere Jeep or not should carry a fire extinguisher. They are required on boats and semi trucks and almost all government vehicles have them. I figured it was about time to get mine rigidly mounted to my Jeep. I don’t remember where I got this military style quick release mount for the extinguisher but it fits this 8lb unit I have pretty much perfectly.
I have been searching for a way to mount my high lift jack that is both convenient and secure. I debated welding on tabs to the roll bar to hold it, but I settled on u-bolt brackets. I found the 2.75″ Exhaust hanger brackets match up to the holes in the high lift fairly perfectly and word decently on the 2.5″ roll bar tube.
I may move it eventually but for now I like it
Before and after shots for the new tires and rims. Still a bit to bald to do any serious wheeling with but driving on the street is much nicer than my majorly off balance 36s were. Next step pull together the funds to replace the 38×15.5 with 37×12.50
My front right is still a 37×12.50 you can see the size difference here.
Back when I ran Crown King last April I really tore up my tires to the point where I wasn’t able to drive on them anymore.
So begins the quest for new tires. I found a guy wanting to trade his wheels on 16.5″ rims for my more stock looking 15″ rims. While this doesn’t give me usable tires it does give me the correct rim size to get Military surplus used HUMVEE tires.
A while back I decide my Jeep really need a rear bumper. The naked rear end just made me unhappy. This picture displays it nicely enough. No bumper, no tire carrier. its not “bad” but it just doesn’t have that Jeep feel to it.
On top of the aesthetic issues I have with the look and feel of the rear end I also don’t have any tow hooks or recovery points which if you do any sort of trails with the possibility of getting stuck or needing a strap, having a reliable place to hook a strap into is sort of required.
After a lot of thought I decided the best way to do this was to re-purpose the front bumper we originally made for my Toyota Pickup truck which I was selling. here you can see the general placement and getting a feel for the width of the Bumper as applied to the Jeep instead of the truck. To make the bumper work I had to cut off the original brackets and then had the challenge of finding new brackets to attach to the rear of the Jeep. In the picture to the left you can see the original brackets hanging down on either side of the bucket.
above is the process of fabricating the new brackets welding them to the Jeep and bumper which solves the issue of actually having a bumper. It is not quite straight but overall it is functional and i’m pretty impressed with how it came out
Step 2 of this process was creating a solid rear tow and recovery point. Of course the solution is a 2″ towing receiver hitch.
The end result is a bumper I am pretty proud of for throwing together in a day. Fit and finish is certainly not a nice as something engineered and factory produced for the same purpose, but Jeeps are meant to be built in a garage with your dad, not bought.
In this picture I have the rear tire sitting on top of the bumper, the next stage in the process is create the tire carrier part of it
So one of the things I’ve wanted to fix for quite a while is the gas tank filler going straight out the back of the Jeep. The biggest problem this causes is I cannot fill my tank more than half full before gas starts pouring onto the ground. Obviously I don’t try to fill it up that far but really it needs to be up on the side like all other Jeeps.
Issues with trying to relocate the gas tank filler neck is this tank is completely custom…. Which basically means we found it in a junkyard and it was the best fit to the space in the back of the Jeep.
Relocating step 1. Cut out and place the new filler neck mount. Completed image included for reference
Step 2 is plan out how to get a sealed passage of fuel from the new location to the back of the gas tank. Finding moulded rubber to accomdate the shape needed at the appropriate 2″ diameter was almost nonesistent. I did find a couple super flexible 2″ rubber hose that would work for the whole length but it was prohibitively expensive; a couple dollars an inch. End result was welded metal attached by rubber at each end. The fuel grade rubber was still fairly pricey at $40 for the 90 degree angle piece and $32 for 1 foot of the “flexible” straight part.